Angels Parish began as a mission of Saint Rose of Lima Parish
in Meriden. It was established to serve
the Catholic families of South Meriden, Cheshire, and Yalesville.
Reverend Paul McAlenny broke ground for the new church in December,
Lawrence McMahon laid the cornerstone on April 3, 1887. Father
McAlenny celebrated the first Mass on July 17, 1887.
was established as an independent parish in the Fall of 1887
and the Reverend Richard F. Moore, LLD, was appointed its first
on January 10, 1888.
In 1960, construction began on the Holy
Angels School and Center. It was completed in February, 1962,
on April 29, 1962, the
75th anniversary of the parish. The Daughters of the Immaculate
Conception, whose Mother House is in New Britain, accepted
an invitation to staff
the school, along with lay teachers.
school did not have a long life. Because of a large debt, increasing
interest and other financial
problems, as well as an
increasing lay staff which meant higher salaries, it
was decided in 1972 to close Holy Angels School. The building
has since been used very effectively,
however, as a Parish Pastoral Center.
When the Reverend
Joseph H. Pettit was appointed pastor later that same year, his
first priority was to eliminate
debt. The church,
which at this point was too small, had deteriorated
badly and would require an almost total restoration. Since
the property on which it was situated
was also small, it was decided to close the church
and eventually build near the Parish Center. Eventually,
it was sold along
with the rectory.
Mass was held in the gymnasium of
the Center and Father Pettit moved into the former convent. Other
also sold and, in
1978, plans were developed for the building of a
The ground breaking ceremony was held on October
8, 1978, and on September 30, 1979, Archbishop
dedicated the new church.
In July, 1982, the Reverend
Alfred R. Merusi was appointed pastor. Upon his arrival at Holy
found a new church building,
a pleasant rectory and an active Parish Center.
Because the parish plant was completely intact,
it now became
Father Merusi's primary goal to
build the Church - the people of God that comprise
Parish - into a devout, active and responsive
Christian community following
the guidelines of Vatican II. Father Merusi worked
very successfully until 1995 at Holy Angels.
Sadly, he died
on February 18
of that year and was deeply mourned.
was replaced by Reverend Roland M. LaPlante.
For 15 years, Father LaPlante maintained the
good work that his predecessors
had established, especially Father
Merusi's task of building up the people of
God in South
Meriden. Parish events have become more frequent and some great fundraisers, such as the 'Holy Angels Golf Tournament' and 'Christmas on the Hill
- A Holiday Bazaar', are now annual events that both the parish and the community are eager to attend.
In July, 2010, Reverand Lawrence S. Symolon was appointed Pastor. He will be tasked with guiding our parish family in friendship and faith, and to that
end, we are all dedicated.
May God bless our efforts and grace us with